Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Friday, August 16, 2019

Quiche with Crust from Scratch

Since we have chickens... we have a lot of eggs. So I thought I would try making  quiche from scratch for the first time. And when I mean from scratch... I was even making my own crust. It turned out AMAZING... so I had to keep the recipe here for future reference.

 


Crust

Ingredients:
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 tbs ice water
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 tbs butter, sliced into small cubes

Instructions:

- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and ice water. Set the bowl aside.

- In the bowl of a food processor (I used my blender) add the flour & salt. Pulse briefly until mixed. Add in the cubed butter pieces and pulse until the micture resembles coarse meal. Add in the egg/ ice water mixture. Pulse again until a lovely dough forms.

- Transfer the dough onto a lightly-floured board. Roll out the quiche crust so that it fits the measurements of your quiche pan or dish. Lay the rolled out dough into place. With a paring knife, slice off any extra dough that's hanging over the rim of the pan or dish.

- Stick the quiche pan with the dough into the freezer for approximately 20-25 minutes (but if you leave it in a bit longer, that's fine too). For a flaky quiche crust it's important that the crust is cold when it's filled and cooked.

- Your cold quiche is ready to be filled and baked.


Quiche

Ingredients:

- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese

And anything else you want! I added tomatoes from the garden and shredded zucchini from the garden. I didn't add any meat this time... but I will definetly try it with sausage int he future.

Instructions:

- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

- Pull pie crust out of the freezer

- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt & pepper.

- Sprinkle filings on pie crust and 1 cup of cheese. Pour the egg mixture over top. Sprinkle remianing 1/2 cup cheese on top of egg mixtures.

- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the center is completely set. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.





No comments: