Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Mazda CX-5 Camper Project


Ever since I started becoming obsessed with being outdoors, I have seen and been so fascinated with Van and Bus conversations. I love the idea of being able to stay in your car instead of having to set up and take down camp or staying in a hotel. I obviously don't have a van or a bus... so I couldn't do that as much as I wanted to. However... I do have a car that is big enough that I can sleep in. So I started searching online to see if other people had come up with a solution for smaller SUV's like mine. I saw things here and there that I liked, but nothing like what I wanted.

SO... I came up with my own design and asked my cousin Dave if he would be up for a cousin project. Thankfully he said yes and he enjoys building things. So I told him my idea and he loved it and got to work. No plans.... just measuring my space and cutting wood and improving my plan as we went. Love it! Dave is so talented.


My idea? Well, I wanted to build a platform that had 2 or 3 drawers underneath. With the size of my car and what I wanted, 2 made sense. I wanted one to pull out and be a long table that I could prepare food on or for me and a couple other people to eat on or whatever other reason you need a table. The other would pull out and it would be an actual drawer with storage and then at the end of it would be a sink so that I can wash a dish, brush my teeth or wash my hands. Dave one-uped my idea and turned the sink into a transformer. Then of course on top of the platform is the bed. It is pretty comfy too I might add. It is an air mattress with memory foam on top. Now I just need to make covers for the windows and I think I am set.



To personalize the entire thing, I decided that I wanted to do some wood burning on it. I of course have never done wood burning before, but I thought I would go for it anyway. I like some of it more than others... but I love how my tree around the sink turned out. My mom even helped me wood burn some of the trees.







I LOVE how it turned out. Dave it amazing. It may sound weird to some, but I love that I can sleep in my car. I also love that on a road trip... if we get hungry, we can just pull over to a pretty spot and set up quickly to make lunch or whatever. It is just so easy and convenient and awesome. It was the best solution for what I wanted from a Van conversion for my SUV. I will make a video at some point to give a tour of the entire thing... but until then, these pictures will have to do. Thank you Dave for helping make my vision come true.



No comments: