Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

FHE Iron Chef


This last week's FHE was a fun one. Another FHE group challenged our group to an iron chef competition. We chose the Anderson's (one of the bishopric members) to choose our secret ingredient and to be our judge. We didn't know what the ingredient was until we got to FHE. Once we got the ingredient we were not allowed to have recipes or use the Internet or to call anyone for help and we had an hour and a half to make something out of our secret ingredients. I was really hoping they were going to give us some kind of fruit. But no.... when we got to FHE I saw sitting on the table in front of me.... sprouts and Pigs Feet!

They both looked pretty gross. We were not quite sure what we were going to do with them. I had never tried pigs feet, in fact I am pretty sure I didn't even know that they sold pigs feet because that is not something that I thought people would want to eat. We were wasting time being disgusted over our secret ingredients... so a couple of us came up with a plan, split up and got to work! I took a container of sprouts. Karen took everything else and the majority of our group went with her.... which was good, she needed a lot more help than I did because what I did was simple. Karen went all out! I don't know if we would have won without her and her iron chef skills.After an hour and a half in the kitchen with our iron chef crew.... we quickly got over to the Anderson's house to make it on time. Then.... it was time for the judging. They were a little nervous to try everything knowing it had pigs feet and sprouts in them. We didn't feel bad though... they were the ones that picked the ingredients after all. After seeing our groups finished results... I was actually excited to try everything. I now had an excuse to add pigs feet to my list of odd/gross things that I have tried.Our judges above....
Below = our competition. P.S. the drinks did not have the secret ingredients in it... that was just their group kissing up to the judges! Same with the corn bread about the pigs feet on the plate.

After seeing what they brought I had no doubt that we would win.... Here is what our group made!Yep! Doesn't that look good? Pigs feet pot pie and pigs feet and veggie and sprouts cream puffs (which is what won the overall). Then I also made sprout bread. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out... but it was good. It won best tasting. I thought everything else tasted surprisingly good too. Fun activity.... I recommend it.

4 comments:

Lynette Mills said...

Pig's feet...wow. Do you think you will ever make it again? What a creative activity.

Tracy said...

Pigs feet again? No gracias. It is too rubbery and the thought of it is still gross to me. But it was a fun activity and fun to try.

THE LIZARD'S said...

the muffins looked yummy but pigs feet .. i am not as brave as you!

jamie hixon said...

That is super fun! I don't know if I would try pigs feet though.
If I were judging, I think I would make my secret ingredients blueberries and Old Amsterdam cheese. Mmmmmm.....