Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Friday, April 7, 2017

Mattress Drama

I have had my mattress for about 5 years now. They say you should replace your mattress every 8 years... but I was feeling  a new mattress now. I have a pillow top on a spring mattress and it is SUPER soft and starting to dip a little bit and even though it is super soft and comfortable, I have a crappy back and lately I wake up on occasion with my back hurting. So I decided it was time to save my back before things get worse and get something a little more firm.

I had come across a mattress on Amazon that had 400 plus reviews that were all amazing. People saying that it was the best mattress they had ever slept on. Those are pretty good reviews! However, buying a mattress online without testing it out seemed pretty risky. It was a pretty good price though. $520 for a queen. Not bad! So I put it in my wish list.

I talked about the mattress with several different people and everyone was telling me it was a great price and a great mattress and they knew someone with a similar mattress that said it was amazing. bla bla bla... I was becoming more convinced (not that that is hard).

When I got back from Iceland, I was looking at my Amazon wishlist and noticed that the price went down $100 on the mattress. What? That is an amazing price! $420 for a brand new mattress that was apparently amazing. I decided I should buy that mattress.

Less than a week later, the new mattress arrived at my doorstep in a very big and heavy box. The box was pretty beat up... so I got rid of the box and brought the mattress in the air tight bag down to my basement until I could sell my bed and buy a new bed frame. My co-worker Drew came with me to Ikea soon after my bed came to help me find a frame that I liked. Now I just needed to sell my bed.

I sold my bed a week later and the same day I sold my bed, my dad came over and put together my frame. As soon as the frame was build, we took the mattress out of the bag to complete my bed so I could sleep on it that night. They say you needed up to 6 hours for the mattress to fully expand to full size. As soon as we ripped open the air tight bag the mattress was in, it quickly expanded and it took 5 minutes. In those 5 minutes, we quickly realized that it was way too big and they did NOT send me a queen which I ordered. I looked at my order to see if it was my fault and I accidentally ordered a king instead of a queen. Nope. My order said Queen. What happened? I looked at the box it came in before I threw it away... but I didn't see the size anywhere big. I'm sure it said somewhere, but I didn't look for it because I just assumed that they sent me the correct size. What was I going to do? My dad and I both weren't sure, but it was too late to do anything about it that night... so my dad left and I grabbed some sheets to sleep on and I slept on it that night.


I slept great. It is a comfortable bed, it was just the wrong size, so I needed to call Amazon. The next morning I called Amazon. I explained VERY CAREFULLY exactly what happened. I explained that I can't put it back in the box and that it is a king size bed. They said, it was their mistake and it was fine and that they would have UPS pick it up the next day. I asked if UPS would take it even though it isn't in a box. They said yes. That mattress is ALL memory foam it is heavy. So I asked my friend Daniel to come over and help me move it. He said he would and brought his roommate Josh. It took them 20 minutes to get it out of my room and upstairs. The trickiest part was getting it up the stairs because it didn't fit in the stairwell... so it took some squishing and pushing and pulling, but they did it. So I left the mattress upstairs and I slept on the floor in the basement. UPS would take my mattress the next day and they told me my new mattress was on it's way and would be at my house on Wednesday. I thought it was all fixed now and I had nothing to worry about.

When UPS came to pick it up, my roommate was home and called me soon after they left and told me they wouldn't take the mattress because it wasn't wrapped or boxed... which I had clearly explained to Amazon that I couldn't do. So I still had the mattress. Ugh. So I called Amazon again. Of course every time I called Amazon I talk to a different person. I had to explain what happened each time I called in. This time they said it just needs to be wrapped up in order for UPS to take it and transferred me to a UPS representative. So I called my dad and asked him if he had anything to wrap something that big at his work warehouse... so he told me he would pick up the mattress and wrap it up and have UPS pick it up when they come to his work. So he did and I arranged for UPS to pick it up there instead of my house. My dad wrapped it up and then called UPS and they said they still wouldn't take it because it was too big and a special freight company would have to take it and that is expensive. SO... I called Amazon again and asked them what they were going to do at their expense to take care of this situation. They said...oh, we actually have a different department that deals with larger shipping items. Oh really? Ok, why didn't they tell that to me the first time that I called in? I got transferred to that department and I explained the situation once again. They said it is opened and out of the box? Oh... you know what? They won't resell that anyway and it would cost a lot to ship it back, so just do whatever you want with it and your new one is on it's way AND we will refund you your money. I said, "Hold up... I can keep the King, my Queen is on the way AND you are giving me my money back? So I get 2 beds for free?" They said yep. So I was thought... that works for me. This has been a headache, but if it meant getting 2 beds for free I can deal with it. I called up my sister Kristy and asked her if she wanted a new King bed for free since they had been sleeping in the same queen bed since they got married. So it all turned out... or so I thought.

Wednesday came and my new bed arrived. I had been sleeping on the floor for 2 nights and was already tired of it and was excited for my new bed. This time I checked the box before taking the mattress out. Almost as a joke... because how could they get the size wrong twice? I brought the box inside and I checked the size on the box. OMG! They sent me the wrong size AGAIN! I couldn't believe it. This time they sent me a full. So I have a King and a Full and I ordered a Queen. I was so mad. I had to call Amazon again.


I was not looking forward to this phone call because I was mad. I try really hard not to yell and be mad at the people on the phone because I know it is not their fault. It is the person that is taking it from the warehouse and putting it on the shipping trucks fault. At the same time... I want to be understood and I want them to fix the problem. I called and explained what happened this time. That they sent me the wrong size a second time. They looked at my account and all they saw was that I was given a refund, so they were telling me that they couldn't ship me a new one, they told me that I would have to buy a new one because I got the refund. I told them no, I wasn't going to accept that because I was given the refund, I didn't ask for it and that was for the first one and not the second one. She told me there was nothing she could do for me and at this point I'm yelling and really mad. She asks me if I want to talk to the manager. I say absolutely I do. So I talk to the "manager" and explain the situation again. She was trying to tell me the same thing and on top of that telling me that because they got it wrong twice, that they can't sell it to me again because they might get it wrong a 3rd time. WHAT?! That is THE STUPIDEST thing I have ever heard. I asked, are you planning on getting it wrong a third time? Just send me the correct bed and all of this is over. It had become such a nightmare and I had ended up talking to Amazon at least once every day that week. It was so ridiculous. I told her I hadn't opened this bed yet... it was still in the box. UPS could come pick it up the next day and they could resell the bed. She finally understands me and she says UPS will pick up the bed the next day and my new bed (the Queen... hopefully) will be there by Friday at no cost to me. Ok... hopefully this is the last time I have to call Amazon. I wait for Friday.

The next day I left the Full bed out on my front door for UPS to pick up. They never came. I checked my email and they told me no need to return that bed, but my new bed is on the way. Wait what? You make a big deal out of me returning the King bed that is out of the box, but this one that was never taken out of the box you don't care to pick up? Makes no sense, but I am not going to argue at this point. As long as my queen bed comes on Friday.

Friday the box comes. When I get home from work I bring the box inside and look to make sure it says Queen on it. IT DOES! HALLELUJAH!! I take the new mattress downstairs and take it out of the box & bag and put it on the new frame and let it expand. It fits! Now I need to sell the full bed.


I have never had orders go wrong when I order from Amazon. The one time it does... it just has to be a bed! Ugh. In the end, I got 3 memory foam beds for free. Crazy huh? How do I like the bed? It is different from what I am used to. More firm than I thought it was going to be... however, I sleep great on it and I feel like I can already tell a difference with my back sleeping on it. So I think it was a good decision in the end... even if it was a nightmare of a process getting the correct one.


No comments: