Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Utah Valley Half Marathon - Take 2


I'm not sure how I was convinced to run this half marathon again... but my friend, Kristi, that works at the gym at work convinced me to sign up with her. I put back on more weight since I did it last... but I am stronger and in better shape than I was when I did it last... so I had no idea how it was going to go.

I didn't train the way I wanted to this time. I wanted to run outside everyday but it was too cold and then it was too hot. I did however run 9 miles (running most of it) and felt ok the next day... so I felt like I was going to be ok. Last time I did this I had never run more than 3 miles in my life and when I was done with the race... I could barely walk for the next couple of days after. So I was definitely stronger this time.

The night before the race I was up in Salt Lake watching my niece in her dance recital so I didn't get a good dinner and I didn't get as much sleep as I wanted (since you have to get up at 3:30am to be at the mall to take the bus up at 4am. It is crazy. So energy levels were not the best for me... but I did it.

Waiting in the cold for over an hour isn't the most fun. The nerves of doing the race just sit with you while you wait. There are so many people. I'm so tired but everyone around me seems to pumped. I was glad I had a friend to talk to. I don't think I would ever sign up for something like this if someone didn't convince me to. ha ha. Here is Kristi and I waiting to start the race. I am wearing my race jacket that I got. This year they did jackets instead of shirts because it was their 10th anniversary of the race. Kind of cool. They fold up and fit into a tiny pouch... so great for traveling or backpacking light. So it will be nice to have around.




Then the race started. I feel like starting out is the worst. All you can thinking about is that you are already tired and you just started... haven't gotten into the groove yet... and how far you have to go. At least we had a beautiful canyon to look at and that is the first 8 miles of the race. Kristi ran with me for almost half of the race... but I could tell I was slowing her down and she was trying to be nice and supportive and stick with me. I told her she really didn't have to. I ran the last one by myself, I could run this one by myself too. I like to go at my own pace and not feel the pressure of slowing anyone else down. I had my tunes. That is all I needed. Last time I created this entire long playlist. This time I just put on pandora. It worked out great.



I ran most of the first 8 miles going through the canyon. Didn't really stop for water or a snack until the half way mark. Then I could tell that I needed to. While running through the canyon I saw a dead snake on the ground that I almost stepped on, a dead bat on the ground that I ran around, and I was coming out of the canyon... there was a big deer (buck) that came down the mountain from somewhere and you could tell it wanted to cross the road, but saw all of the runners and changed it's mind and pranced off back up the mountain where it came from. It was pretty cool. That was probably the highlight for me. If I were closer to him... I would have gotten my phone out and taken a picture, but it was kind of a pain to get my phone out. It was in a little pack in the curve of my back buckled around my waist which worked out quite nicely. There was also an emergency snack in there in case I needed it... which I didn't and my car key was in there as well. Anyway... when I cam out of the canyon and hit the 9 mile mark, I was making pretty good time and I thought I would be able to finish the race in 2 1/2 hours... but then I started getting really hot and losing energy and when you come out of the canyon the race is so boring and you know exactly where you are and how much longer you have because you count every street and block. You can see the temple in downtown Provo where the race ends from SO far away... but you know how far away you are... so it is a little discouraging.


I knew that Kristi was waiting for me, so that was pushing me a little. I had no idea how far ahead of me she was. I struggled more and more towards the end, especially when my goal time came and passed and I still had a couple of miles to go. However, I did finish it under 3 hours and that will just have to be good enough for me. I'm not a runner. I accepted that fact a long time ago... so just finishing these races is a big deal for me. Kristi had texted me asking me where I was when I had 3 miles left. Thanks to my new apple watch, I saw her text and instead of getting my phone out to text her back, I just replied by talking into my watch. So nice and convenient to do while running. She was there waiting for me in the last block of the race and ran in with me. So nice for her to wait since she finished a half hour before me. She is so positive and encouraging and was so great to do this race with. She has always been such a great cheerleader for me when it comes to my health and fitness. And a good friend.

After the race, I took my shoes off and I was shocked to find my toe like this... my toes weren't hurting so I had no clue. I clipped my toenails so I wouldn't lose another one this race... but it looks like I am going to lose it anyway.  Oh well. But I went out and about that night after the race... so at the end of the day I looked at my fitness app on my watch and I got all kinds of steps in and miles and awards. Go me.



I came home from the race and found this waiting for me on my back porch. Very sweet of my mom. She knew I was a little nervous to do it again and didn't feel quite prepared. So nice to know she and others are proud of me. I need a little encouragement in my life. I am so hard on myself and have a hard time believing in myself... so I will take all the love and encouragement I can get. Thanks mom!



I didn't hurt like I did last time after the race, and I think I even improved on my time a little bit, but I still feel like I could have done better. But I am glad that I did it again. It was an accomplishment. will I sign up for another half marathon? Maybe... but probably not for a while. Maybe this is something I do every 4 years. ha ha. We shall see. It would be nice (if I do it again) if I can be thinner AND be in great shape. That would be ideal and I would probably do a lot better on time. Anyway... Thank you Kristi for being so supportive and running the first half with me and waiting for me at the end to run in with me. So nice to have someone to do the race with and encourage me and feel like I can do it.






Here is a video my friend RJ created of the race. He has gotten so good as a videographer that he is being hired all the time. Way to go RJ. Once he saw me at the end of the finish line... he even made sure to film me and make sure I made it into the video for a hot second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=170&v=T9EC3SqRCGw

1 comment:

jamie hixon said...

You are amazing. I have run exactly ONE 1/2 marathon and it is no longer a bucket list item for me. I am in awe of you for continuing to run "crazy" races.