Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Grandparents Day

So I know I just blogged about Sister Day which was over a month late... but today REALLY is Grandparents Day! My roommate just told me... so I looked it up and here is what I found:

The impetus for a National Grandparents Day originated with Marian McQuade, a housewife in Fayette County, West Virginia. Her primary motivation was to champion the cause of lonely elderly in nursing homes. She also hoped to persuade grandchildren to tap the wisdom and heritage their grandparents could provide. President Jimmy Carter, in 1978, proclaimed that National Grandparents Day would be celebrated every year on the first Sunday after Labor Day.

So there you have it. Happy Grandparents day! To my parents who are now grandparents and my grandparents. I have been blessed with amazing grandparents! My grandparents on my mom's side have both passed away... but I remember writing letters to my grandma and learning from her and I was pretty young when my grandpa pasted away... but I knew he was a very loving and caring man who had done a lot with his life and they both raised a great family. I am very lucky to still have my grandparents on my dad's side still around. I remember asking my Grandpa Mills about his childhood and he enjoyed telling me stories of when he was a kid. He is a brilliant man that was a teacher (along with many talents and hobbies), so he would always be interested in how I was doing in school and what I was learning. My grandma is one of the most caring people I know. When I am around my Grandma Mills I feel like the most important and special and loved and cared about person in the whole world. She has that special gift and has always told me how proud of me she is and how much she loves me. She has sacrificed so much and taken care of so many people.... she deserves a special award. I always feel so uplifted when I talk to my grandma... she always looks on the bright side of life and makes the best out of even the worst situations. She amazes me and I strive to be more like her everyday. Man... I am so blessed to have such an amazing family. Sometimes you forget until you start writing it out or telling someone about them. Thank you to my grandparents for being amazing and teaching me so much. I love you!
P.S. I wish I had a picture with me with my other grandparents... but I can't find one. :o(

2 comments:

Lynette Mills said...

you should give grandma mills your blog address. She would probably enjoy reading it.

Tracy said...

I figured she would have seen it on the family website when you posted my sister tribute.