Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Strawberry Shortcake Bars

Tonight, Quinette and I hung out, watched a movie and made a dessert. A VERY yummy dessert that I will for sure be making again this summer. I seriously love it, but I guess I say that with every dessert I make. #sweettooth. If you are in the mood for something sweet and fruity, but not heavy or sugar overload ... give this one a try. Between Quinette and I, we had all of the ingredients on us. I thought that was pretty awesome. I like recipes that call for most stuff that you keep on hand.

Strawberry Shortcake Bars
Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Cream layer:
1 (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (8 oz) Cool Whip (frozen whipped topping)
2-3 cups fresh strawberries, diced
Directions:
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Mix in vanilla.
In a separate bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking soda. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased, rimmed baking sheet (I use a 13x18x1" pan/cookie sheet).  The dough will be just like cookie dough- heavy and sticky- so it’s best to spray your hands with a little nonstick spray and use them to help mold the dough into the pan.
Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
Mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth, then fold in the Cool Whip and stir well. Spread cream cheese layer over cooled sugar cookie bars. Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to let the cream layer set up. Top with fresh strawberries, cut, and serve.
I learned that these look the best if you put the strawberries on right before serving, otherwise the juice from the strawberries can tint your cream layer pink. Store leftovers in the fridge.
Makes 40-48 bars (depending on how large you cut them).


2 comments:

Lori said...

Yummy! I love strawberry shortcake... it's been forever since I've had some. Perfect summer dessert. (3 cups of sugar IS kinda a sugar overload though, haha)

jamie hixon said...

That looks amazing. Of course, I haven't had refined sugar or flour or grains or dairy in over a month. But I think this would always appeal to me. #sistersweettooth