Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Monday, December 9, 2013

Vietnam

First part of our trip was spent in Vietnam. We flew in and out of Ho Chi Minh City and stayed in a hostel in the city. It is a crazy city. A city where there are more people riding around on motorbikes than cars.

In that crazy city... we stayed in a hostel in a busy little alley way. Quickly that little alley way became home for a few days.


In our alley way, there was a lady that cooked food right outside of our hostel. We decided to eat there for breakfast one morning. We are not entirely sure what was in it... but it was one of our favorite meals on our two week trip!




Our first full day, we decided to go to the war sites and Cu Chi tunnels. The tunnels are an immense network of connecting underground tunnels and are part of a much larger network of tunnels that underlie much of the country. The tunnels were the location of several military campaigns during the war. The tunnels were used by soldiers as hiding spots during combat, as well as communication and supply routes, hospitals, food and weapon caches and living quarters for numerous North Vietnamese fighters.  I only went through a little bit of the tunnels, but they are tiny and claustrophobic. My legs were totally burning by the end because I had to squat walk to whole way through. It was dark and a little bit creepy... I would hate to be stuck in there... that is all I have to say about that! After we had lunch and then went to the war museum.





The next day we took a bus a couple hours away to the MeKong Delta. This was my favorite day in Vietnam. It was beautiful. They took us on a boat ride and we went around to different markets by the river. We learned how they make pop rice and we had the most tasty tea I have ever had.





After that boat ride we got on a little small row boat. They took us on a smaller part of the river while we wore our pointy hats. This is exactly what I envisioned doing while in Vietnam. So I was just so happy, soaking it all it while it was happening. This was my favorite part of Vietnam. Seriously.






We each ended up buying our own pointy hat to take home. Had to carry them around for the next two weeks which ended up being pretty annoying.


We then had lunch. Fried Elephant Fish!


We went on a bike ride around the area.


We held a BIG snake.


We walked around the street markets.


Then we headed home.


Vietnam was good to us. We had a great time.


3 comments:

Logan said...

So cool! I love the shots on the little boats. Perfection.

Lori said...

Fun hat. You should wear it to work sometimes. That food all looks scary. I don't know I could have eaten that stuff.

jamie hixon said...

I like your pointy hats too, and those tunnels would have given me nightmares. That fried Elephant fish looks pretty nasty too. ;) But the other food looks AMAZING and it is all too beautiful.