Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Confessions of a Brunette on the Internet 217

Saturday night we had a storm. It was quite the storm... you could feel the house shake from the wind. That left us without Internet for a week and I have been having to catch up on my blog and other things I need to the Internet for at work. The power was out for a couple of hours. I know because I kept waking up and checking my phone. What was I worried about? My fish tank. HA! The power out meant that the heater and filter was turned off. Not sure why I worry about my tank that gives me so much stress (ok that is an exaggeration) and I obviously can't kill my fish since they have not died after everything I have accidentally put them through and not known it was bad for them. So yeah... no need to worry. They are still alive and well. When I woke up the next morning and go to church, I saw my bench swing on the patio... the weather did a number to it. Guess it's time to figure out new seating for the back patio...


Oh and speaking of my fish tank. My shrimp is still alive and slowly eating the weeks in the tank. I'm seeing progress from the cleaning crew I put in my tank which makes me happy and helps me be less stressed about the tank. The tank is looking cleaner. It's great. I can't wait to have it under control and be able to get cooler fish and some coral.

Monday I went to see a movie with my roommate Penny. We went to see "Monuments Men" which had a star full cast, but got not the best reviews. My co-workers had told me they liked it though, so I thought I would as well. I did! I learned a little history that I didn't know before since this movie was based on a true story and it had enough humor in it to keep me entertained and like the characters. I would recommend it.

I also finished "A Single Voice". Well done Kristen Oaks, well done. It was perfect written. She addressed all of my concerns and voiced everything that I have felt as an older single. Including being happy and feeling like people feel sorry for you because you are not married with kids. Of course that is what I would like, but for whatever reason it hasn't happened yet, but I am very happy with my life in the meantime. Such a great book and I am glad President Sandburg recommended that I read it. I recommend it to "older singles" or if you want to understand or better to relate to them.

Tuesday we heard a loud noise at work. We went to the other side of the building and looked out the window.... a crane had fallen on another building on the Novell campus. A building that I have some friends working in actually. It was kind of crazy. Nobody was hurt, but I think there will need to be some repairs. We watched as the fire trucks showed up and checked out the scene. Not sure why they came... I don't think there is anything they could do, it takes another crane pulling that crane up... which eventually came later and was working on it the next day. It sure caused quite the scene though. There were lots of people watching.





I am done watching episodes of Hoarders... but the effects are still there. I continue to go through my stuff and get rid of things I haven't used or don't think I will. I keep cleaning up after my roommates because I can't stand the thought of dirty dishes in the sink, food spills and crumbs sticking around and attracting bugs and unpleasant smells. That show for definitely made an impact on me... even though I was already a neat freak.

Speaking of shows, I'm just about done with "The Glades". I have liked it. Still think the Killing was better, but this was good and a little more light hearted. Doesn't keep you at the edge of your seat though because every murder is solved by the end of the episode. Not sure what I am going to watch next.

So I totally missed the Lunar Eclipse. Kind of mad about it actually. How did I not know about it? I would have totally stayed up to watch it. I had a bunch of friends watching it even. I saw MANY instagrams the next day of it. The best one was obviously from my  brother in law Dan. I would have loved to try and get pictures even though I know they wouldn't come out as good as his, but oh well. I looked it up and apparently it is happening again on October 8th. I put it on my calendar so I wouldn't miss it this time.


On Wednesday I totally pampered myself. I had my scheduled massage, which was wonderful as always... my massage therapist is great and so nice. Love talking to her. After my massage, I decided it was also time for a pedicure, so I went ahead and got that done also. It was long over due... the guy giving me the pedicure just shook his head while he looked at my toe nails. He could tell I had one toenail just growing back. He asks me if I lost it running. I said I lost the same one on my other foot to running, but this one was from hiking to Havasupai. He lectured me on how I need to clip my nails short before I do stuff like that. Yes... lesson learned. Then he saw the bruise on my big toe nail. He asked me how that happened. Yeah... I dropped a weight on my foot in Pilates. He shook his head again and told me I need to take better care of my feet. Ha ha... that is why I was there! I usually am so good about taking care of my feet. Anyway... my feet look really nice now. He fixed them up for me and you can't see a bruise anymore and you also can't tell that my toenail is not quite all the way grown back yet. Yea!


I don't know why, but I had never checked my credit score before. I had no idea if it was good or bad. Turns out... it's REALLY good! I am happy about that. I can thank my parents for that for teaching me good habits at a young age. I remember my dad teaching me about how to handle credit cards when I first got one at the end of High School. Told me to use it for gas and buying things online and then pay it off right away... that it is better to have credit than no credit. Having no credit is the same as having bad credit. Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise to see I had such great credit AND it is going to get even better... I met with a finance guy at the bank and trying to make better choices with how I handle my finances. My 401k has a lot of money in it... which is awesome, but now I think I want to start a second savings account. One that I don't touch.... Anyway... I'm feeling good about that.


I finished my Southeast Asia video... finally. Now I just need to put together my book of the trip. I always get excited to do these things but then forget how many hours it takes... and how much I don't want to do it, but I still want it, so I do it anyway. ha ha. It's worth it in the end. Anyway, after I show it to my travel friends, I will post it for the public.

So my weekend was crappy. I already blogged it out. Hopefully this weekend will be better. As it turns out, John had a crappy weekend too. We text everyday... so we vented to each other. It helped a little. Then on Monday we skyped again. I have always kind of hated skype/ FaceTime because I don't like looking at myself knowing that is what the other person is seeing. Just makes me self conscious I guess. Anyway, I never understood why people thought skyping with someone was such a big deal. Now I do. I mean, John and I text everyday, but it is so different to be able to have a conversation with someone ad see their facial expressions and have that type of interaction. It ended up putting us both in a better mood after our crappy weekends. I miss him. I'm glad I hear from him just about everyday though. When he left, I wasn't sure how often I would hear from him, but as it turns out... WiFi is pretty standard everywhere now. Because we chat everyday... my end of the conversation isn't always exciting. John's like oh I went and saw a Volcano today and zip lined through the jungle. I'm like... oh cool, I went to work and got a pedicure. But he still cares what color I got on my toenails.

1 comment:

jamie hixon said...

Dan watched the lunar eclipse for two hours in the middle of the night with mom while I slept. I guess I just really value sleep.

You said something about your "finance guy" and I totally thought you said "fiancé"- I was like, what? Ha.

Yeah, that picture of your feet is muy caliente! Ay ay.

I wonder who got fired for dropping a crane through your building?