Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Be Prepared

At church we are told to be prepared in case of an emergency. My first step towards this goal was getting an Emergency Car Kit. I bought it a few years ago. As you can see it has a first aid kit, a tool kit. It also has jumper cables, a fleece blanket, a flash light, rope and lots more. If anything ever happened while I was in the car... I would be set. It puts me at ease when I am driving anywhere.

I have been told for years that I should have food storage. It is not that I don't agree... I just didn't want to start it until I got married. Not sure why, its not like I am immune to emergencies until I am married. Maybe it was just an excuse. Maybe I just didn't want to carry it around from move to move. Well, I am happy to report that on Saturday, I started my food storage. They ask us to have 3 gallons of water. I now have 15. I now have a huge container of rice, one of beans and one of flour. Plus that I got dry milk, and many cans of different things. When I went to stake conference and they talked about emergency preparedness, I did NOT feel guilty! Hooray! I finally did it. I must give a big thank you to my sister Kristy for taking me with her to the store and helping me get started. See that empty shelf on the bottom? Next Kristy is going to teach me how to can foods! That will go there... and I will continue to build up my food storage, which will be a lot easier now that I have started. Do I feel more at ease in case anything ever happens? Yes, yes I do!

Next on the list... putting together my 72 hour kit. I have a few things... but I have a bag to fill. I will keep you updated on my preparedness. Are you prepared?

11 comments:

Lynette Mills said...

Good for you! I noticed that they didn't mention anything about being prepared this conference.

jamie hixon said...

Nice work! We are semi-prepared. I keep eating our stash.

Shawntel said...

Good Job! You are awesome Tracy!

THE LIZARD'S said...

Yes, I was expecting to hear to be prepared this conference too but didnt hear it either. Interesting... but anyway.. I really love the feeling of following the prophet (ava sings that song around the house..ha.ha) and getting food storage is just a genius idea for Anybody! It helps you protect yourself and your family/roomates/friends/neighbors and that is great!

Kristy said...

You are welcome. Thanks for coming with me.

Desiree said...

Way to go! It looks great! I'm glad you won't feel guilty anymore. I hate those feelings of guilt. We started ours, but we need to do more. :)
I was thinking of even doing one FHE a month dedicated to building up our emergency stuff like a short wave hand crank radio and other things. We haven't done it yet, but I want to. :)

politicchic6 said...

When I lived with Karen, I didn't worry about food storage at all because the girl has LOTS o' food. I am now fully stocked food storage. My big advice is to store foods you'll actually eat. There is no point storing beans and rice, if you don't actually eat beans and rice (happily, I DO!).

William said...

Nice work Tracy- you have more stuff than we do it looks like! And we really need to be more prepared than most living back in the forest :) I will have to get to work! I need to live closer to you and Kristy so i can get in on this stuff! Love you.- Lori

Caytlin said...

Good job! I try to stock up on extra canned stuff, but other than that I'm pretty pathetic at food storage. Sometimes when I look at the food in our cupboard, I wonder how long it would really last me and think about all the weird meals we would have to eat!

Cheryl said...

I feel the same way. NOT Guilty after getting more items for emergency preparedness!

Kayleigh said...

Actually, I'm not....

Well, maybe. My parents gave all of my siblings and I a heavy duty Swiss Army backpack that they stuffed with 72 hour kit stuff.

Hearing of the earthquakes close around lately makes me kinda... scared?

It has definitely been on my mind lately.