Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Sundance Film Festival


Saturday morning I got up early to go up to Park City with Allison and Dallin. When I say early.... that means 7:30 on a Saturday which to most people is normal and not a big deal... but to me it is totally absurd to get up that early on a Saturday for any reason. However, we had a good reason for getting up and making the drive up to beautiful Park City.

Allison, Dallin and I had all never been to the Sundance Film Festival and have always wanted to. Yep! I put it on my Winter Bucket List every year and every year the festival comes and goes without me attending it. A lot of people go in hopes to see celebrities... I just wanted the experience.. to at least try it out once. So off we went.

If you don't buy tickets ahead of time, you get to the box office early and hope to get a ticket to some show. Since they are all independent films... you never really know what you are going to get. Our first two choices were sold out, so we got tickets for a Documentary called "Dreamcatcher". Sure. Why not? Our movie didn't start until 3:15pm... so we had from 8:30 until then to kill time in Park City. It was the second weekend of the festival, so we knew we were most likely not going to be rubbing shoulders with any celebrities. It was early and we had a lot of time to kill so we grabbed a hot chocolate and a pastry to kill the time while we discussed our options.


We did a lot of walking on the adorable main street and around other parts of Park City. We finally decided to take a gondola ride (ski lift) up the mountain... not to ski or snowboard like everyone else, but just to check out the views of the mountain and of Park City. You pay a set price to ride the gondola as many times as you want... so we just sat in there and went a couple of times. People looked at us funny... but it's ok. It was around 14 minutes round trip... so it helped kill some time plus it was super beautiful. It was also hilarious because Dallin is afraid of heights and may have freaked out a little bit on the way up.





We then grabbed some lunch and then headed over to our movie. "Dreamcatchers" happened to be a documentary about a woman that got herself out of prostitution and started the program to help other woman get out as well when they were ready... giving them an option out when most of them do it because it is the only way they know how to survive. It was very sad... but it was also inspiring. It's sad that it is a part of our world that we live in, but it is inspiring when people change and get out and knowing what it's like... using their experience to inspire and help others to get out of the situation too. I'm thankful for people that use their time for good and to help others.

After the movie we drove home. It was an early day. Kind of a long day. It was a fun experience that I'm glad I finally did and was happy that it was with good company. I'm thankful that there are so many fun/cool things to do in Utah. I love that after living here for 10 years I can still find new things to do and new places to go. It was a great day. Another check off of the Utah Bucket List.


1 comment:

jamie hixon said...

You know, I never went to the SB film festival, even when I had friends who were in movies there. I just didn't want to deal with the crowds. But I would ride the ski lift a million times if I were at Sundance for sure. That looks beautiful.