Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Monday, June 6, 2011

Wisdom

As of this morning, the last of my wisdom is gone.

Why do we have Wisdom teeth if everyone needs to get them out? I guess in the stone age they would use them? Are they called Wisdom teeth because they grow in when you are older?

I'm not really sure... nor do I really care. All I care about it that I have had to deal with them since I was 13 years old.

When I was 13, I was preparing for braces (that I didn't end up getting until I was a freshman in college). In preparation for my braces I needed to go to the Oral Surgeon where I would be put to sleep and they would extract two top molars, my two bottom wisdom teeth (that would have grown in the wrong way) and my last baby tooth. They told me since they removed two molars from the top of my mouth that I would have room for my top wisdom teeth and they left them. I wish they would have just taken them out.

Fast forward in time 11 years. Now I am 24. My top Wisdom teeth have decided its time to grow in. I don't know if you guys know this.... but when teeth grow in, its painful. No wonder babies are so fussy. I was fussy when they were coming in. My jaw was always soar, I always wanted to be chewing gum back there. Not fun. But they grew in, and they grew in straight. I thought I was done.

Fast forward another 4 years. That brings us to today. My dentist has been bugging me for almost two years to get my wisdom teeth out because there is no point in having them. They are hard to clean and floss and will only cause me problems later. Its easier to get them out when you are young rather than waiting until you are older. Okay Okay. I get it. I will get them out... but if this is the case, why in the heck didn't they just pull them out when I was 13? When I was put to sleep... get it all over with. I don't know. But this morning I went to the dentist... a little worried of what it was going to be like for him to pull out my full grown teeth in the back of my mouth. He said that they would "slip right out" but they are teeth... they aren't supposed to slip right out.

I went in at 9. One lady came in and took X-Ray's of my Wisdom teeth. I was with her for for 10 minutes. Then the next lady came in to get my mouth numb. I noticed her eyelash extensions, she noticed my cute pedicure. 3 shots on the right side of my mouth and 3 on the left. I was with her for about 10 minutes. Then she left. 5 minutes later the Dentist came in. I told him I was a little nervous and he kind of laughed at me. After it was done... I could see why. I felt the pressure, but that was about it. I didn't hear a crack or a crunch. I didn't get laughing gas, I didn't even have to have my mouth open that wide. One tooth came out in about 2 seconds the other took a little longer at 5 seconds. Then my mouth was rinsed and stuffed with gauze. I got up, grabbed my extra gauze and notes signed by the dentist for some Lortab and Antibiotics and I left the dentist office at 9:30 and drove straight to work.

It may have been easy, but it doesn't take away how crappy you feel. Your mouth stays numb for half the day. You can't really talk and when you do you sound and look retarded... which makes things pretty exciting at work. You still get to change out your bloody gauze. When you can feel your mouth again, its throbbing pain and a couple of holes in the back of your mouth where some teeth used to be. When you take Lortab for the pain to go away... it wants to shut down your body, so I had to fight sleep while I was at work, I could barely stand up or walk straight. I was pretty out of it. Some of my friends got to see me like that. Apparently they thought it was pretty funny.


I am just glad it is FINALLY over. No more dealing with the Wisdom teeth. I probably went about it the most difficult way possible. Seriously. Thanks to my awesome friends and family who were there for me. All I wanted was a hug because I felt so crappy... and I got that. THANKS!!!

4 comments:

jamie hixon said...

Oooh, bummer. I got mine out when I was 24, and apparently that is the right time to do it. I don't remember it being bad at all. I went to work the next day and I performed that weekend. You should have had them out at 24!

Lynette Mills said...

hope you are recovered Tracy... thanks for coming over and putting up with the family dinner afterwards.

Lori said...

Mouth pain is the worst! I hope you are feeling better and I'm glad it's over with now :)

THE LIZARD'S said...

okay, so I have your situation but I need to get the last two out. I know..its like..why didnt I just get them all out at once but I need to get my last two out too..I dont like how hard it is to brush them for sure! Sorry you were in pain but I def know how that feels! hope your medicine made it bareable!