Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Monday, August 9, 2010

Family Hike

Today the date is 8-9-10. Just sayin... its awesome.
So, as you know, my family is in town. My mom saw my blog post about Secret Lake and said she wanted to go there. So on Saturday we did just that.
The lunches were packed, the kids were excited to go and hike and everything just seemed like it was going to be perfect. Well, as perfect as it can be with 5 kids ages 7 and younger. We were in the middle of our mile hike... enjoying the scenery with the wild flowers in full bloom. Then it started to get a little windy and the kids started to complain that it was too cold. I tried to be positive with them. That when you are hiking and it gets hot, its nice to have a breeze.



 But then.... the closer we got to the lake, the clouds started to come in. It started to sprinkle a little. All the sudden it started raining. Then the hail came... and it came pretty hard. Everyone ran for cover wherever they could find it. We huddled together under trees. I worried about baby Zachary... but he was probably the warmest out of everyone and pretty much slept through the whole thing. We waited for the hail to stop and continued to hike in the rain. We were so close! Some couldn't handle anymore though, they they turned back and hiked back to the car. The rest of us made it up the rest of the hill and got to the Lake! We were very wet, but we made it.



We didn't stay long before we hiked back. Sierra was still cold and had a hard time hiking down. My sister was hiking in sandals and having a hard time helping her... I am very confident hiking in my flip flops, so I hiked down with Sierra on my back, which also kept her warm. It was a win win situation.


Anyway, the rest of the hike back was actually really nice and no rain at all. Funny how bipolar Utah weather can be. I still had a good time but felt bad for the kiddo's. It was an adventure, that is for sure. More than we were expecting that day. It sure is beautiful up there though. Second time there and I still couldn't get over how pretty it was.



Here are the kids at the beginning of the hike... when they were all still happy. So cute right? I must say that my nieces and nephews are quite adorable.

7 comments:

Estella said...

Tracy (it's Estella), where is Secret Lake? (Or is it a secret?) I've never even heard of it and I grew up in Utah. I would love to know how to get there. Your photos are beautiful, as usual. Gorgeous scenery, gorgeous kids!

Kelli Burton said...

love, love, love all the mountain wildflowers. best time of the year to be in the west.

Dallas and Kirsten said...

Great pictures! I love all the wildfires and your nieces and nephews are quite adorable!

Bre said...

ok that hike looks gorgeous and i'm only a couple minutes from Alpine...is the trail paved or at least flat enough to take a stroller?

jamie hixon said...

That is so gorgeous! This is yet another post that is making me sad that I'm not in Utah right now! Maybe I'll come later in the fall and we can take yet another hike?

jamie hixon said...

PS I'm so glad you got Lori started on her blog!! YAY!!
Also, the girl IS the girl from When in Rome, Kristen Bell. She is cute and very likable in Veronica Mars.

Tracy said...

Jamie, I would love for you to come in the fall and I would totally go on the hike again. Although... I don't think that Kristy & the kids would do it again.

Bre, my sister thought she would be able to take the stroller. She maybe got half way and then had to ditch it and we all took turns carrying kids. So.... you may want to go with someone else if you are going to take your twins.