Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Friday, May 22, 2015

Scuba Diving the USS Liberty - Bali, Indonesia


When we got to Bali, I knew that I wanted to go scuba diving. I hadn't researched the diving there, so we just figured we would go to a dive shop and see what our options were. We had the option of scuba diving with Manta Ray's which would have been awesome... OR a ship wreck dive... which would take a bit longer to get to, but it was cheaper than the other one. Plus, I had never done a ship wreck dive before, so we decided to dive at the ship wreck. I am SO glad we did. I had no idea, but the ship wreck was the USS Liberty.

USAT Liberty was a US Army cargo ship torpedoed by Japanese submarine on January 1942 and beached on the island of Bali. She had been built as a Design 1037 ship for the US shipping Board in World War I and had served in the US Navy in that war as animal transport USS Liberty. In 1963 a volcanic eruption moved the ship off the beach and Liberty's wreck is now a popular dive site. Here is what the ship looked like before it sunk to the bottom of the ocean.


This is what it looks like under the ocean to us divers. Although sadly I don't think I saw the gun.


Here are some pictures from our dive exploring the wreck. The pictures don't do it justice. It's so much cooler in person. There is so much life living in this wreck. There was so much to look at while we explored in and around the ship wreck. The biggest tropical fish I have ever seen, beautiful coral all while taking in the experience of swimming through and around a ship wreck. Hands down, this rates #1 on favorite dives.

We saw a Barracuda and these eels, which at first I thought were some kind of seaweed because the way they stick out of the sand.


Also spotted a sting ray.


I found this cute sea turtle and hung out with him for a little bit.


I just loved everything about this dive. I hope this will not be the last ship wreck dive that I do.






1 comment:

jamie hixon said...

Crazy! I still don't know about scuba diving. ;)