Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Monday, January 6, 2014

Spiced Black-Eyed Beans & Mushrooms

Something that John and I have in common is that we both traveled to India. We love Indian food. John has been craving it lately. When I was in India... I loved the food so much I bought a cookbook. Well... I thought I would make Indian food all the time, but turns out a lot of Indian food takes a long time, so looking at the recipes I became intimidated and never made anything from my cookbook I brought home.

Last year I made Tikka Masala for the first time. It turned out well... so when John told me he wanted to make something from my cookbook tonight, I was more confident that we could. John and I put in an equal amount of effort into the meal and it turned out great. We both LOVED it. So I wanted to share it. It's pretty healthy too! If you like Indian food and are in the mood to try something else besides curry, give this one a try.

Spiced Black-Eyed Beans & Mushrooms

Serves 4

1 onion, roughly chopped
4 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2.5 cm/1 inch piece fresh ginger, roughly chopped
4 tbsp sunflower or olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground fennel
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2-1 tsp chili powder
6 oz canned chopped tomatoes
14 oz canned black- eyed beans, drained and rinsed
4 oz large flat mushrooms, wiped and cut into bite sized Pieces
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
6 oz warm water
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves

Indian bread, to serve

Step 1: Puree the onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor or blender

Step 2: Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat and add the pureed ingredients. Cook for 4-5 minutes, then add the cumin, ground coriander, ground fennel, turmeric and chili powder. Stir-fry for about a minute, then add the tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes are pulpy and the juice has evaporated.

Step 3: Add the black-eyed beans, mushrooms and salt. Stir well and pour in the warm water, bring to a boil, cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring halfway through.

Step 4: Stir in the chopped mint and coriander and remove from heat. Transfer to a serving dish and serve with Indian bread.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

Kristy said...

Oh. I will have to try this! Looks good.

jamie hixon said...

That looks good.