Quote

A Girl Should Be Two Things: Classy & Fabulous. - Coco Chanel

Labels

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Mr Emotional Basket Case

I met Mr Emotional Basket Case in June of last year. He visited my ward because he had heard it was a great ward and was wanting to meet new people. Well... there was only one seat left in Sunday school... so I ended up sitting next to him in which he stared at me throughout class pretending like he knew me and making conversation and left at the end of class with my name and phone number and added me on facebook that night and began texting me over the next few months.  I thought he was a little awkward, but I also thought he was cute and sweet.

I'm a little ashamed that I liked this guy so much in the beginning. Shortly after I went out with Mr. Emotional Basket Case I met and started dating John and was reminded of what a normal relationship is and what normal guys are supposed to act like and changed my way of thinking towards Mr. Emotional Basket Case. Thanks John.

Back to Mr. Emotional Basket Case. Like I said, we text back and forth for a couple of months... he never really asked me on a date, so I gave up on him. Figured he wasn't that interested. Then all of the sudden he comes over one Saturday and we had a super long date... spent all day and night together. Had a great time. Went to dinner and then watched the Salem fireworks while holding hands and it was magical. I really liked this guy. He took me home and gave me a really good kiss at the end of the night. I didn't think it was a big deal. We were both feeling it. Just because someone kisses me, doesn't mean I think we all of the sudden can't date anyone else now. Next day he freaked out. Told me he wasn't ready for a relationship (which I wasn't asking for). All I wanted was to spend more time with him and get to know him better. Did it really need to be this complicated? I was kind of sad that things hadn't quite worked out the way I wanted, but he still showed signs of interest texting and calling and wanting to go feed the ducks together, I held on to hope that maybe there was potential for us to date. He was a good guy, he was cute and sweet and I liked that.

The more I got to know him the more I thought there was something just a little off about him, but maybe it was just a small town boy thing. I don't know... I kept wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt. Then he stopped wanting to see me, but would just call me and check up on me and see how I was doing. Then I stopped hearing from him all together, which worked out because I was dating John at that point anyway. I no longer cared.

Just when I thought Mr. Emotional Basket Case was over and done with and part of the past, I get a phone call from him one Sunday morning. I was still in bed so I didn't answer. He left a message saying how nervous he was to call me. I don't know why... because it had been so long? Because he had been such a moron? I ended up texting him later asking him what he wanted. He wanted to talk with me, he asked if he could come to church with me sometime. I said sure. Why not? He ended up showing up at my house later that night, telling me how depressed he had been and asking my advice on how to be happy. I felt kind of sorry for him. I tried to help, give friendly advice, but I also felt like I was talking to a child.

After that.... I started hearing from him more. He started showing up at my ward and going to church with me. I wouldn't have cared so much it it weren't so awkward. He would snuggle up to me at church. I would see out of the corner of my eye that he would just be staring at me. Sometimes I would try to ignore him (which was really hard) other time I would look back at him and he would look away. Sometimes I would look back and him and ask What? And he was smile and say something like.... "Oh nothing, I'm just a goober". Me "Umm, why are you a goober?". Mr. Emotional Basket Case "Oh you know, Spring is coming up... and you know what that means.. ha ha" Me "Nope, I don't know what you are talking about". Weird stuff like that. Along with smelling my hair and telling me how beautiful I look or how nice I sing or other flattering comments that normally would be really nice if it were not with all the staring and done in a slightly creepy way. Then he would turn to me in the middle of church and ask me how I don't worry... because he worries too much. Again... feeling like I'm talking to a child would try and give him advice.

A week or so would go by and I would forget about him because I wouldn't hear from him. Then I would get a text from him.
Mr. Emotional Basket Case - Hey, are you around tonight?
Me - Yep, I'm just chillin at home.
Mr. Emotional Basket Case - Oh I see. I'm just at Institute.
Me - Cool.

What the!? Why are you even asking if you don't want to hang out with me? Waiting for me to invite you? Not going to happen. Drives me crazy.

He makes normal situations awkward. It's a talent he has. You almost start to treat him like a sweet innocent child that doesn't know any better so that you don't go crazy with why he doesn't act like a normal adult. Here is the part where I couldn't take anymore....

One day he text me. Here is how the conversation went.

Mr. Emotional Basket Case - Hey, I think I really like ___ . Do you have any suggestions of how to get to know her better?

Me - Date her.

*nothing*

Me - Why are you asking me? Sometimes I feel like you act interested in me, but then you never do anything about it so I'm wondering what you agenda is.

Mr. Emotional Basket Case - I'm sorry. I'm just looking for friendship and you are a great friend. But don't you think it is so cool how me and ___ met? lol

Me - If you are just looking for friendship, then I guess you don't need to worry about ___. And no, I don't think it is cool how you guys met. I think it is totally normal. People get invited to things and meet people through other people. Totally normal way to meet people. Happens all the time. I think you like the way she threw herself at you and made you feel needed

*Mr. Emotional Basket Case LOVES to feel needed and feel like a hero. He is constantly asking me what he can do for me. Which is nice... but weird when it is out of the blue*

Mr. Emotional Basket Case - You have a good point and some good advice. I'm thinking of becoming more than friends with her though.

Me - Ok, you are an adult and can make your own decisions. Date her! Most NORMAL people, when they want to get to know someone better, they take them on dates to see if they want to pursue a relationship with them. Most NORMAL people also don't talk to people that they are or used to be interested in and make out with about people they are currently interested in.

Mr. Emotional Basket Case - I'm so sorry. You are totally right, I shouldn't have talked to you about this. Will you ever forgive me?

I didn't respond. He just doesn't get it. He has no clue. I hope they date. Maybe she can teach him a thing or two about how dating works.... he obviously hasn't figured it out at 29 years old. Sad. I'm hoping that by my lack of response that I won't hear from him anymore and he won't show up in my ward anymore. We shall see... but so far so good. I just don't need emotionally unstable people in my life. Not at my age.

2 comments:

jamie hixon said...

People are messed up. I'm not just talking about this guy, I'm talking about almost everybody. Nobody knows what they are doing, it is just sad to see it. I seriously think it would be so great if we treated our mental health like our physical health. You know, people see doctors for physicals and whatnot... we should see counselors and psychiatrists that often (if not more so) as well. That would be so helpful for people all over the world.

Tracy Mills said...

Jamie, I could not agree more.